Friday, August 14, 2009

Final Thoughts on Ecuador...

Deuteronomy 29: 29
"The secret things belong to the Lord our God,
but the things revealed belong to us and to our sons forever,
that we may observe all the words of the Law."


As we ascended out of Quito, I looked out the plane window. I had hoped, as we had entered the country in the darkness of night, that when we left Ecuador, I would see the terrain... the secrets of the beautiful Andes' volcanoes... from above. It was quickly obvious to me, however, I would only catch glimpses of the beautiful Andes around the city. Fog clouded my ability to see below. Little clearings made me wish or long that the day had been clear... that even now something would happen... so I could drink in the beauty I knew was hidden. God only knew if I would ever return again... I wanted to see it now.


Then, stepping back from my "demands" or "hopes", I reflected on the secrets that had been given to me on this trip....

... the secret of a smile, through the fog of a language barrier. I had arrived, needing an interpreter. I left, still needing an interpreter. But laughter, hugs, gratitude, sadness, fear and hope were secrets revealed and shared from heart to heart without a spoken, understood word. It evidenced itself in helping the Doctor in an exam room and holding an anxious woman's hand, who was left to trust us without adequate communication of what we were doing (interpreters were not always available).

... the secret of grateful hands bringing us fresh oranges from her produce, to thank us for yesterdays care... when the sale of them could have fed her family.

... the secret of laughter when interpretation revealed the humor in what was said, compared to what was understood.

... the secret of new life. New pregnancies, small babies... anticipating, loving mothers... a world wide understood language.

... the secret of death and suffering, tears without words.... broken, failing bodies under a heavy burden of hard manual labor... that desired hope.

... the secret of fellowship and praise, a unified understanding and teamwork of those whose words we could not understand... in care for the masses standing at the gate asking for help and cure.

... the secret of eternal life, given to those who believed as the good news of forgiveness and life in Christ was shared.



As the clouds hid even more beauty than I could imagine, my heart turned heavenward. For the secrets revealed in Ecuador came in the gift of giving and caring for another. How special that our Lord gives and yet, keeps many things yet to be revealed for a later day... in His time, in His way... for us and our sons and grandsons.

I tasted only of what He desired to reveal that day. It was a foretaste of much to come. May we seek glimpses of Him now, and longingly desire to see the rest of His beauty... as much as we do His creation around us.


I may never see the vistas around Quito, Ecuador in this lifetime, but I will see Him... at a day of His choosing. It's a secret for which I long to have the clouds part and to have His glory revealed... to which no vista on earth will ever compare!






1 comment:

Dalene said...

:o) What lovely reflections.