Saturday, December 26, 2009

A Blessed Christmas to you...

Merry Christmas...

As I sit waiting for the Christmas bread to rise, the children as still in their beds. I love these hours each Christmas morning when it is just me, the bread, the Christmas lights and the music. It gives me time to pause and think on that small baby born so long ago, and yet, how He is so real today:

He is the Bread of Life... and as I knead the bread, I recall how I have often felt the push of life, sometimes so intense I would scream for relief. Yet, He has always been my portion, my rescuer, my comfort and peace.

He is the Light of the World... and as I wait for the bread to sit in warmth, untouched (for just a little while of relief), I gaze at the lights that surround me. The littlest lights burn the brightest. They glow. Jesus came into this world as a little baby and shed light to our world like no other has ever accomplished... and across time to every generation. And, wonder of wonders, as each of us came to the knowledge that He shed His blood for us and we embraced that truth, He made us lights to this world for which He would soon die.

He is the source of joy in all things... and as I sing to the traditional (and yes, new) Christmas music, I remember the angels and shepherds on that night. It had to be an anticipating, questioning hope as the shepherds listened to the "Halleljuhal" chorus of the evening as they followed the starlight in the country. But, it pulled their hearts with wonder. As I sing, I can't help but think about the coming "Hallelujah" chorus that we as Believers will have the privilege to sing with the other Believers of all generations from the beginning of time. My anticipation is full of that day as I write to you this morning. We who believe have a hope that the world can not comprehend...

A shower is running upstairs. In a few minutes, the "Blessings of my youth" will descend the stairs, and the quiet will become louder. As we sit down to Christmas bread, the final advent piece will come out of its box... the baby Jesus. We will say Luke 2: 1- 20 together, pray and the celebration begins... with Jesus at the center of our hearts.

The morning Mary travailed to give birth, she had no comprehension how her obedience would effect a Senior South Dakota girl in the fall of 1973... let alone the same, OK woman, through life to a Christmas morning of 2009. She knew, I'm convinced, she was kissing a very special babe as she touched and drank in the smell of that precious baby head. But, I'm also convinced, she had no idea what that would bring. As she tenderly kissed the face of GOD... her choice of obedience to GOD's plan is a blessing to me.

I pray this coming year, my obedience to Him will be a blessing to all of you.

Hallelujah.... He is born.

Mom/Caroline

2 comments:

Gaut4kidz said...

Amazing - thank you for sharing such a beautiful message!

Dalene said...

Love You!