Tuesday, October 11, 2005

It's all basic...

... that is, the Basic Mix recipe of homemade Bisquick! As you have requested, here it is...

12 cups All -purpose flour (I use half to 2/3 whole wheat)
2 Tablespoons salt
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons baking powder
2 cups shortening or butter

Combine flour, salt and baking powder; sift. Cut in shortening with pastry blender, Kitchen Aid or food processor until mixture resembles coarse meal. Place in covered container. Store in the refridgerator or any cool place.
Yields: 14 to 14 1/2 cups.


Use for biscuits, muffins, shortcake, pancakes, coffe cakes, nut bread, etc.,

Biscuits

2 cups basic mix
1/2 cup milk

Mix and roll out to 1/2 inch thick, cut with biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 450 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes. Yields 10 - 12 biscuits.


Drop Biscuits

2 cups mix
3/4 cup milk
Mix and drop onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for 12- 15 minutes. Yields: 10- 12 biscuits

Muffins

2 cups basic mix
2 tablespoons sugar
1 well beaten egg
3/4 cup milk

Mix and fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 425 for 15 - 20 minutes.



Pancakes

2 cups basic mix
1 1/4 cups milk
2 well-beaten eggs

Mix and cook over medium heat on hot, greased skiillet. Yields: 18 pancakes






.... and one more thing that is basic to life... our understanding of God's sovereignty. What we believe about whether or not God is in control determines our gratefulness (or lack of ) as we live our life. It determines our level of confidence, peace and love of life. The scripture we treasure tells us He is the Most High God... El Elyon. No one or nothing has any authority over Him. Nothing... in the spiritual realm or here on earth. That is a delight to my soul (... as well as it's greatest struggle in the want of me being the authority over my own life). It especially excites me when I focus on His character. Today I taught the overview of Ephesians. Listed over and over again are evidences of how this God makes decisions of authority: "according to the KIND intent of His will", "according to His purpose", "according to His good will", "according to His extravagant grace". Yes, this loving God allows the good and hard in our lives, having sifted it through His loving fingers, "according to His kind intent of His will", and provides all we need through "His abundant grace".

...as David's (my dear husband) grandfather said when David's dad told him that David had brain cancer:
"Should we take good from Providence and not accept the hard?" It is a basic question worthy of our wrestling and answer.

Good night... God's blessings on you all.
Mama C.

6 comments:

becky said...

Hooray! I'm excited : ). I'm going to have to whip up a batch of that as soon as I own a pastery cutter!

'Night Mom...

James Pray said...

Hi mrs. Casselberry!
Wish I was at home to do some cooking of my own.
Well, thanksgiving is coming!
--James

Mama C said...

James, I can hardly wait for you to "tear" up my kitchen with cooking... it will be joy for me to have you here and watch!!!

Mama C said...

Becky... what is that geto-up you are wearing... new uniform for Lockheed-Martin????

Mama C said...

Becky... what is that get-up you are wearing... new uniform for Lockheed-Martin????

becky said...

Hahaha... not at all. That's me during Gotcha week at LU : ).